Old October 9th 06, 04:20 PM posted to uk.finance
jpd jpd is offline

Default List of Sort Codes?

Hi,

Is there a list of Sort Codes and the Bank they belong to on the Internet?

TIA.

--
JPD
email is NOT valid...

Old October 9th 06, 04:47 PM posted to uk.finance

"jpd" wrote in message
Hi,

Is there a list of Sort Codes and the Bank they belong to on the Internet?

Seem to be lots of sites but they all seem to be pay for codes.
Pretty typical of any databases these days.

Old October 9th 06, 06:46 PM posted to uk.finance

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 17:20:23 +0100, jpd put finger to keyboard and
typed:

Hi,

Is there a list of Sort Codes and the Bank they belong to on the Internet?

Do you mean individual branches, or merely the overall company? If the
latter, then they're on Wikipedia at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...United_Kingdom

Mark
--
Please help a cat in need: http://www.goodge.co.uk/cat/
"Take me or leave me, don't have to believe me"
Old October 9th 06, 07:01 PM posted to uk.finance

"jpd" wrote in message
Is there a list of Sort Codes and the Bank they belong to on the Internet?

Have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...United_Kingdom for a
list identifing the bank or
http://www.postcodeanywhere.co.uk/de...validator.aspx if you need to
know the actual branch (demo of paid for software so they limit the number
of times you can use this each day)

Regards
Sunil

Old October 9th 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.finance

Old October 9th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.finance

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 17:20:23 +0100, jpd wrote:

Hi,

Is there a list of Sort Codes and the Bank they belong to on the
Internet?

http://www.postcodeanywhere.co.uk/de...validator.aspx

I tried it for my banks sort code, and it gave this;

Barclays Bank Plc
Fareham
Leicester
Leicestershire
LE87 2BB

Well, the first two lines are sort of correct in a 'geographically correct'
sort of sense, but I can assure you that fareham is nowhere near leicester,
and that isnt their postal address either,and that the actual branch and
postal address for my bank isnt any of those other than the first line, eg
Barclays!
Other than that, it was quite accurate.
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old October 9th 06, 10:14 PM posted to uk.finance

Tumbleweed wrote:

I tried it for my banks sort code, and it gave this;

Barclays Bank Plc
Fareham
Leicester
Leicestershire
LE87 2BB

Well, the first two lines are sort of correct in a 'geographically correct'
sort of sense, but I can assure you that fareham is nowhere near leicester,
and that isnt their postal address either,and that the actual branch and
postal address for my bank isnt any of those other than the first line, eg
Barclays!
Other than that, it was quite accurate.

One of these then ?

K:\databasegrep -i fareham sortcode-varcrlf.txt|grep -i barclays
2\Fareham\203089\Leicester, \ Leicestershire, \\LE87
2BB\0845-7555555\\FAREHAM\Barclays Bank Plc\LEICESTER\02219\1\
3\Gosport\203089\Leicester, \ Leicestershire, \\LE87
2BB\0845-7555555\S\FAREHAM\
Barclays Bank Plc\LEICESTER\01190\1\
3\Park Gate\203089\Leicester, \ Leicestershire, \\LE87
2BB\0845-7555555\S\FAREHAM\Barclays Bank Plc\LEICESTER\01190\1\
3\Stubbington\203089\Leicester, \ Leicestershire, \\LE87
2BB\0845-7555555\S\FAREHAM\Barclays Bank Plc\LEICESTER\01190\1\

(sorry for the poor formating)

The web application has clearly just returned the first one of the four
branches which share that sort code, not unreasonable as the other
three are sub branches of Fareham.

Several banks don't list the actual branch addresses anymore in the
sort code directory, just the mail center that deals with BACS related
mail. Similarly almost none list the actual branch phone number.

Peter

Old October 9th 06, 11:00 PM posted to uk.finance

In message , Tumbleweed
writes
I tried it for my banks sort code, and it gave this;

Barclays Bank Plc
Fareham
Leicester
Leicestershire
LE87 2BB

Well, the first two lines are sort of correct in a 'geographically correct'
sort of sense, but I can assure you that fareham is nowhere near leicester,
and that isnt their postal address either,and that the actual branch and
postal address for my bank isnt any of those other than the first line, eg
Barclays!
Other than that, it was quite accurate.

For Barclays, it gives the 'branch' description first, then the location
of the local service centre where all the actual paper work and
accounting is done. It is this latter address which is needed for
correspondence relating to accounting such as unpaid items,
pre-authorised payments and all account enquiries. Most importantly it
handles the payment of debit items.

So, I reckon the reply was pretty accurate.

--
John Boyle
Old October 9th 06, 11:12 PM posted to uk.finance

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 22:42:11 +0100, Tumbleweed wrote:

I tried it for my banks sort code, and it gave this;

Barclays Bank Plc
Fareham
Leicester
Leicestershire
LE87 2BB

Well, the first two lines are sort of correct in a 'geographically correct'
sort of sense, but I can assure you that fareham is nowhere near leicester,

So can I.

I tried several sort codes that I know, someof them worked others gave the
correct branch name but a bizarre address.

and that isnt their postal address either,and that the actual branch and
postal address for my bank isnt any of those other than the first line, eg
Barclays!
Other than that, it was quite accurate.

Hmm I've got a watch that tells the correct time twice a day. Sadly when I
tried the site before I used one of the (rare) sort codes it gets right.
Old October 10th 06, 12:22 AM posted to uk.finance

"John Boyle" wrote in message
In message , Tumbleweed
writes
[...]

Ahah!

"The Leicester, LE87 2BB address is known within Barclays as "Open Sort and
Distribute". Any post sent to a Barclays branch should end up here where a
team open it and forward it to the relevent department for action. Data
Protection Act requests go to Radbrook Hall, copy statement requests go to
Barclays Service Centre in Glasgow and complaints go to one of the Complex
Query Centres or Head Office, depending on the nature of the complaint. If
your letter is addressed to a named individual, it will be forwarded to
them, but if the letter actually contains a general request (such as a copy
of a statement), it will then be forwarded to the relevent department for
action."

Seems it if omitted the 'fareham' bit it would be a valid address, and that
the key thing is the postcode, which is barclays only.

Sort Codes. Quimbler UK Finance 9 January 27th 05 08:43 PM
Another sort of legal finance question MadCrazyNewbie UK Finance 4 August 18th 04 06:31 PM
sort code Online UK Finance 12 June 9th 04 12:54 AM
Sort Code Landru UK Finance 7 June 7th 04 11:56 PM
Sort code ID Online UK Finance 3 January 7th 04 01:47 PM