Old November 26th 05, 11:09 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

Default Credit checks and the Electoral Roll

If you run a credit check on someone at the current address, and it
turns out that they aren't registered on the Electoral Roll (for
whatever reason; or maybe they have opted to go on the 'unpublicised'
Roll?) does that mean that any credit check is totally meaningless?

I've had a need to run one (via Experian) on somebody who I know to have
been resident at an address for 4 years, but they have a completely
clean credit history (the individual is middle-aged).

Is the Electoral Roll the only thing which links someone's credit
history if they move house? How is it possible for me to find out more
about this person's credit history?

If not possible, doesn't that mean that if more and more people opt out
of having their name on the public Electoral Roll, the whole concept of
credit scoring is up the creek?

David

Old November 26th 05, 11:20 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

"Lobster" wrote in message
If you run a credit check on someone at the current address, and it
turns out that they aren't registered on the Electoral Roll (for
whatever reason; or maybe they have opted to go on the 'unpublicised'
Roll?) does that mean that any credit check is totally meaningless?

I've had a need to run one (via Experian) on somebody who I know to have
been resident at an address for 4 years, but they have a completely
clean credit history (the individual is middle-aged).

Is the Electoral Roll the only thing which links someone's credit
history if they move house? How is it possible for me to find out more
about this person's credit history?

If not possible, doesn't that mean that if more and more people opt out
of having their name on the public Electoral Roll, the whole concept of
credit scoring is up the creek?

David

Go along to your county's record office or nearest major
library with "local studies" section or council archives .
They have the complete electoral rolls (not the expurgated versions)
going back decades but not including the current year.

What they aren't telling you about DNA profiles
and what Special Branch don't want you to know.
http://www.nutteing2.50megs.com/dnapr.htm
or nutteingd in a search engine.

Valid email (remove 4 of the 5 dots)
Ignore any other apparent em address used to post this message -
it is defunct due to spam.

Old November 26th 05, 11:25 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

In uk.legal Lobster wrote:
If you run a credit check on someone at the current address, and it
turns out that they aren't registered on the Electoral Roll (for
whatever reason; or maybe they have opted to go on the 'unpublicised'
Roll?) does that mean that any credit check is totally meaningless?

Er... are you checking for where a person has lived or his credit
history... they are not the same thing.

I've had a need to run one (via Experian) on somebody who I know to have
been resident at an address for 4 years, but they have a completely
clean credit history (the individual is middle-aged).

Is the Electoral Roll the only thing which links someone's credit
history if they move house? How is it possible for me to find out more
about this person's credit history?

I regularly move flats... and countries... it does not mean that my
(UK) bank acounts also move.

If you have a question about a person's credit history... why not
ask him? There can only be one legitimate reason and that is if
you wish to lend him money.

If not possible, doesn't that mean that if more and more people opt out
of having their name on the public Electoral Roll, the whole concept of
credit scoring is up the creek?

The purpose of the Electoral Roll has nothing to do with credit scoring.

Axel

Old November 26th 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

wrote in message
. uk...
In uk.legal Lobster wrote:
[...]

if you are not on the electoral roll it can have a serious effect on credit
scoring, but most companies will ask for 3 months proof of address and for
you to show 3 years of where you have lived

Old November 26th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

wrote:
In uk.legal Lobster wrote:

If you run a credit check on someone at the current address, and it
turns out that they aren't registered on the Electoral Roll (for
whatever reason; or maybe they have opted to go on the 'unpublicised'
Roll?) does that mean that any credit check is totally meaningless?

Er... are you checking for where a person has lived or his credit
history... they are not the same thing.

Well, both really; but the major issue is the credit history. (I'm
happy he currently lives where he says he does.)

If you have a question about a person's credit history... why not
ask him? There can only be one legitimate reason and that is if
you wish to lend him money.

Ask him? As in, "Do you have a good credit history?" "Yes, absolutely!"
"Oh great, that's OK then". Don't think so...! The reason I'm check
ing is almost as above; I want to rent a property to him.

Maybe I should rephrase my original query. I've given the guy's name,
DOB, NI number and address for the last 4 years to the credit checking
agency (Equifax actually, not Experian); the report shows he's not on
the Electoral Roll at that address and he has no credit history other
than one account closed 6 months ago. That cannot be an accurate
reflection of his activities over the past 25 years... so assuming it's
not related to his presence/absence on the electoral roll, how do I find
out about it?

I should add that the guy has very good references and my instinct says
he's fine; I'd just like to reassure myself over this odd credit history
thing.

Thanks
David

Old November 26th 05, 12:00 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

Opting out of the public Electoral Roll means that it is not available to
the public. It is still available to the credit reference agencies. You
cannot opt out of this.

--
Peter Crosland

Old November 26th 05, 12:01 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

In uk.legal Essex Computers -dotcom wrote:
If not possible, doesn't that mean that if more and more people opt out
of having their name on the public Electoral Roll, the whole concept of
credit scoring is up the creek?

The purpose of the Electoral Roll has nothing to do with credit scoring.

if you are not on the electoral roll it can have a serious effect on credit
scoring, but most companies will ask for 3 months proof of address and for
you to show 3 years of where you have lived

Ha, ha ha...

I was quite able to open a Dutch bank account without proof of
my UK address and a Finnish and US one. I think I will stick with those.

Axel

Old November 26th 05, 12:07 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

k...
wrote:
If not possible, doesn't that mean that if more and more people opt
out
of having their name on the public Electoral Roll, the whole concept
of
credit scoring is up the creek?

The purpose of the Electoral Roll has nothing to do with credit scoring.

if you are not on the electoral roll it can have a serious effect on
credit
scoring, but most companies will ask for 3 months proof of address and
for
you to show 3 years of where you have lived

Ha, ha ha...

I was quite able to open a Dutch bank account without proof of
my UK address and a Finnish and US one. I think I will stick with those.

You don't necessarily need to have a positive credit score
to open a bank account as it can run on a credit only basis.
But in the UK Banks make a loss on you if you never borrow
any money from them so they aren't interested in giving accounts
to people if they aren't prepared to lend to that person.

tim

Axel

Old November 26th 05, 12:13 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

In uk.legal Lobster wrote:
If you have a question about a person's credit history... why not
ask him? There can only be one legitimate reason and that is if
you wish to lend him money.

Ask him? As in, "Do you have a good credit history?" "Yes, absolutely!"
"Oh great, that's OK then". Don't think so...! The reason I'm check
ing is almost as above; I want to rent a property to him.

In that case you will probably find that as he has been renting he
will not have a great credit history based on the electoral roll.

Maybe I should rephrase my original query. I've given the guy's name,
DOB, NI number and address for the last 4 years to the credit checking
agency (Equifax actually, not Experian); the report shows he's not on
the Electoral Roll at that address and he has no credit history other
than one account closed 6 months ago. That cannot be an accurate
reflection of his activities over the past 25 years... so assuming it's
not related to his presence/absence on the electoral roll, how do I find
out about it?

I cannot answer that question... but would the more important point be
to find out what job he is doing and then make a judgement on that?

I should add that the guy has very good references and my instinct says
he's fine; I'd just like to reassure myself over this odd credit history
thing.

Just ask for 2 months deposit instead of the standard one month.

Axel

Old November 26th 05, 12:19 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

In uk.legal Peter Crosland wrote:
Opting out of the public Electoral Roll means that it is not available to
the public. It is still available to the credit reference agencies. You
cannot opt out of this.

As one of the many mismanagements of NuLab... why on Earth any private
agency should be able to access my details without permission is
beyond me.

Axel

Need to check Electoral register updated with Credit agencies mac UK Finance 5 October 3rd 10 08:58 PM
Credit checks and credit ratings Tom Anderson UK Finance 1 August 31st 06 04:14 PM
Turned down from opening bank account because not on electoral roll Richard UK Finance 8 October 23rd 04 12:41 PM
Electoral Roll jpdal5921 UK Finance 14 August 18th 04 04:36 PM
Orange/CPW multiple credit checks claire UK Finance 5 January 23rd 04 10:54 AM