Old January 2nd 05, 09:10 PM posted to uk.finance

Default How long is a UK Cheque 'valid'?

I hope this is the right group to ask this question.....

How long is a UK cheque 'valid' i.e. how long can a person keep a cheque
before presenting it to their bank and still have it honoured?

The reason for asking is that I have just had two cheques taken from my
account after more than 12 months - I had thought that a cheque was only
vaild for 6 months but I'm not sure what gave me this thought.

Any idea where I can find some guidance - I have already E-Mailed my bank?

Old January 2nd 05, 09:27 PM posted to uk.finance

6 months from date on the check.

Old January 2nd 05, 10:16 PM posted to uk.finance

"NewsGroupQuestion" wrote:

How long is a UK cheque 'valid' i.e. how long can a person keep a cheque
before presenting it to their bank and still have it honoured?

Conventionally, six months. Some cheques have earlier expiries
explicitly written on them.

The reason for asking is that I have just had two cheques taken from my
account after more than 12 months - I had thought that a cheque was only
vaild for 6 months but I'm not sure what gave me this thought.

Any idea where I can find some guidance - I have already E-Mailed my bank?

You've probably done the right thing. If they're honouring cheques that
far out of date, you've good reason to complain.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in email.
Old January 2nd 05, 10:37 PM posted to uk.finance

NewsGroupQuestion wrote:

How long is a UK cheque 'valid' i.e. how long can a person keep a cheque
before presenting it to their bank and still have it honoured?

Six months, but the bank usually doesn't check the date, so it will go
through anyway.

The recipient could still sue you for the money, and the cheque is all the
evidence they need.
Old January 2nd 05, 10:42 PM posted to uk.finance
tim tim is offline

"Jon Green" wrote in message
"NewsGroupQuestion" wrote:

How long is a UK cheque 'valid' i.e. how long can a person keep a cheque
before presenting it to their bank and still have it honoured?

Conventionally, six months. Some cheques have earlier expiries
explicitly written on them.

The reason for asking is that I have just had two cheques taken from my
account after more than 12 months - I had thought that a cheque was only
vaild for 6 months but I'm not sure what gave me this thought.

Any idea where I can find some guidance - I have already E-Mailed my
bank?

You've probably done the right thing. If they're honouring cheques that
far out of date, you've good reason to complain.

on what grounds.

If he still owed the money he has no basis for a complaint.

tim

Old January 2nd 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.finance

"Jon Green" wrote:

"NewsGroupQuestion" wrote:

How long is a UK cheque 'valid' i.e. how long can a person keep a
cheque before presenting it to their bank and still have it honoured?

Conventionally, six months. Some cheques have earlier expiries
explicitly written on them.

The reason for asking is that I have just had two cheques taken from
my account after more than 12 months - I had thought that a cheque
was only vaild for 6 months but I'm not sure what gave me this
thought.

Any idea where I can find some guidance - I have already E-Mailed my
bank?

You've probably done the right thing. If they're honouring cheques
that far out of date, you've good reason to complain.

The drawer has had the use of the money interest free in excess of the
normal 6 month maximum, so have technically benefitted from the banks error.

Old January 2nd 05, 11:01 PM posted to uk.finance

Jonathan Bryce wrote:

NewsGroupQuestion wrote:

How long is a UK cheque 'valid' i.e. how long can a person keep a cheque
before presenting it to their bank and still have it honoured?

Six months, but the bank usually doesn't check the date, so it will go
through anyway.

I thought that technically the cheque is valid forever, but the banks
will ask for old cheque to be checked with the drawer just in case it
may have been presumed lost without being notified, and the original
debt been extinguished by other means.

The recipient could still sue you for the money, and the cheque is all the
evidence they need.

There you go. It *is* valid forever, since if it were to have become
invalid, you would no longer be able to sue on it.

Old January 2nd 05, 11:19 PM posted to uk.finance

The cheques were presents - not a 'debt' as such. I have had the situation
in the past where such cheques were presented and the recipient's bank
refused them .....but not this year, the same person put a cheque through in
November 2004 when it was 11 months old and another has gone through dated
January 2005 (will go through when banks open), 13 months old.

I cannot find anything in my terms and conditions but still believe that the
cheque expires after 6 months.....I could be wrong.

I have the money to cover the funds and I have no problem with the recipient
receiving the monies.

What if I hadn't the funds to cover the cheques?

Was it my (the drawer) responsibility to stop the cheque after a period of
time or would the bank have performed a check due to lack of funds and
stopped the cheque for me?

It's a point of principle....I'll follow this one with my bank but it would
have been 'nice' to have been able to referred to a 'rule'. Having been
with my bank for around about 30 years, you would think that I would know
the answer to something like this - it scares me that I don't and I cannot
readily locate the answer.

It's all down to trust, I guess?

Old January 2nd 05, 11:28 PM posted to uk.finance

"tim" wrote:

"Jon Green" wrote in message

You've probably done the right thing. If they're honouring cheques that
far out of date, you've good reason to complain.

on what grounds.

On the grounds that he has a reasonable expectation that he shouldn't
expect his account to be unexpectedly debited by cheques older than the
usual expiry period.

After all, if you normally keep an account balance around 500 pounds
(say), but wrote a cheque for 700, it would be reasonable to keep cash
in the account for six months to cover the cheque, but not thereafter.

The OP may still owe the amount in question, but it's up to the person
to whom the cheque was issued to return the outdated cheque and request
that a new one be written. That's the usual procedure.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in email.
Old January 3rd 05, 10:18 AM posted to uk.finance

In message , Jon Green
writes
"NewsGroupQuestion" wrote:

How long is a UK cheque 'valid' i.e. how long can a person keep a cheque
before presenting it to their bank and still have it honoured?

Conventionally, six months. Some cheques have earlier expiries
explicitly written on them.

The reason for asking is that I have just had two cheques taken from my
account after more than 12 months - I had thought that a cheque was only
vaild for 6 months but I'm not sure what gave me this thought.

Any idea where I can find some guidance - I have already E-Mailed my bank?

You've probably done the right thing. If they're honouring cheques that
far out of date, you've good reason to complain.

Can the OP tell us if the cheques were issued in conjunction with a
Cheque Guarantee Card? If so, the 6 month rules does not apply.
--
John Boyle