Old October 21st 04, 11:03 PM posted to uk.finance

Default Turned down from opening bank account because not on electoral roll

Any advice?

I've just been turned down from an account at the Abbey National
despite having a savings account with them - which admittedly sees
little action.

I'm not on the electoral roll where I live and have moved about quite
a bit from being a student - I've lived in around 8 places in the
last three years.

Although I have utility accounts where I am living now, should I
register as the electoral roll at my parents' address even though I do
not live there. The problem is that I shall probably be leaving where
I am at the moment in about 3 months' time.

Richard

Old October 21st 04, 11:35 PM posted to uk.finance

Yes, it would help, but being on the electoral roll isn't valued very
highly in credit checks ime because of the mess the system's in. I've
got credit cards and a mortgage and haven't been on the register for
years, although they may have linked back to my parents address; I
haven't checked my credit reports (which would be a useful thing for
you to do).

This is a FAQ so see the previous posts -
<URL:http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&scoring=d&q=electoral&btnG=Search&meta=group%3Du k.finance.*

Daytona
Old October 22nd 04, 05:57 AM posted to uk.finance
AK AK is offline

"Richard" wrote in message
Any advice?

I've just been turned down from an account at the Abbey National
despite having a savings account with them - which admittedly sees
little action.

I'm not on the electoral roll where I live and have moved about quite
a bit from being a student - I've lived in around 8 places in the
last three years.

Although I have utility accounts where I am living now, should I
register as the electoral roll at my parents' address even though I do
not live there. The problem is that I shall probably be leaving where
I am at the moment in about 3 months' time.

I'm surprised that has been given as a reason. There are two versions of
the electoral register, one public and one not (all to do with the data
protection act) and you decide if you want to appear on the public one. I
choose not to appear so in effect I would not show up as being registered.
Ask them how they would cope with that!!!

Old October 22nd 04, 08:12 AM posted to uk.finance
Tim Tim is offline

"AK" wrote
There are two versions of the electoral register, one public
and one not (all to do with the data protection act) and you
decide if you want to appear on the public one. I choose not
to appear so in effect I would not show up as being registered.

Well, actually - yes you would!

The "edited" register (ie the "non-public" one, which is the only one which
I am on), *is* available to certain bodies, listed in the relevant rules -
such as police/credit reference etc. There are (apparently) strict rules
over who is allowed to see/use it, but credit reference agencies still show
the details - perhaps you ought to check your credit files?

"AK" wrote
Ask them how they would cope with that!!!

Easy, they use Experian/Equifax etc as usual.

Old October 22nd 04, 08:23 AM posted to uk.finance

"AK" wrote in message

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Credit reference agencies (well experian, equifax and callcredit at least)
get the full version not the edited one as they are trusted enough

Old October 22nd 04, 10:39 AM posted to uk.finance

Daytona wrote in message . ..
Yes, it would help, but being on the electoral roll isn't valued very
highly in credit checks ime because of the mess the system's in. I've
got credit cards and a mortgage and haven't been on the register for
years, although they may have linked back to my parents address; I
haven't checked my credit reports (which would be a useful thing for
you to do).

This is a FAQ so see the previous posts -
<URL:http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&scoring=d&q=electoral&btnG=Search&meta=group%3Du k.finance.*

Daytona

Every other person in London these days seems to be an eastern
european. That can't all be working cash in hand. Could you ask them
how they get an account without being on the electoral role.

Kevin
Old October 22nd 04, 01:58 PM posted to uk.finance

"AK" wrote in message ...
"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

I thought that the full electoral register was available to credit
reference agencies.
Old October 22nd 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.finance

On 22 Oct 2004 06:58:31 -0700, (Steve) wrote:

"AK" wrote in message ...
"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

thanks,

But should I be on the address where I live/ and where I have utility
bills registered as having a utility bill? Or should I register at a
different address to the one where I have the utility bill - my
parents!

Pros/Cons?

Richard

Old October 23rd 04, 12:41 PM posted to uk.finance

Richard wrote:

But should I be on the address where I live/ and where I have utility
bills registered as having a utility bill? Or should I register at a
different address to the one where I have the utility bill - my
parents!

Legally you should be registered at your primary place of residence
and this is what I'd do, for the reasons I mentioned in my first post.
It's the councils problem if they can't register you before you move.

Get a copy of your credit reports (2 each) from Equifax, Experian and
Call Credit. This will reveal what the companies see when they do a
credit search.

Daytona

Don't bank with the COOP because they are either incompetant or crooked JethroUK UK Finance 81 March 2nd 11 03:34 PM
Need to check Electoral register updated with Credit agencies mac UK Finance 5 October 3rd 10 08:58 PM
Credit checks and the Electoral Roll Lobster UK Finance 29 November 27th 05 09:41 PM
Electoral Roll jpdal5921 UK Finance 14 August 18th 04 04:36 PM
Opening a bank account connections cardiff UK Finance 3 September 29th 03 07:34 PM