Old August 18th 20, 01:23 PM posted to uk.finance

Default Safe Investment Options

Hi all

If you were going to hand over £50k as an inheritance payout to an
adult, where would you suggest they put it?

Not interested in high risk.
Probably wouldn't want it locked away for long periods (1 or 3 years may
be an option).
Concerns about Internet security and fraud, but also vulnerable to covid
so less inclined to go to bank in person.

Ideas anyone (other than under the matress or in your pocket that is)

Thanks

Phil

Old August 19th 20, 12:56 PM posted to uk.finance

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 14:23:01 +0100, thescullster
wrote:

Hi all

If you were going to hand over £50k as an inheritance payout to an
adult, where would you suggest they put it?

Not interested in high risk.
Probably wouldn't want it locked away for long periods (1 or 3 years may
be an option).
Concerns about Internet security and fraud, but also vulnerable to covid
so less inclined to go to bank in person.

Ideas anyone (other than under the matress or in your pocket that is)

By safe then I presume you are not wanting to invest but rather to
save, in which case have a look at:

https://www.hl.co.uk/investment-serv...s-and-products

There are a range of withdraw immediately to up to 3 year fixed terms.

The produces are FSCS covered up to the statutory 85k.

When logging into Hargreaves if you have any Active Savings you can
only proceed by entering the code that will be sent to your mobile.

Monies can only be transferred to your nominated bank account.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Old August 19th 20, 02:28 PM posted to uk.finance

thescullster wrote:
Hi all

If you were going to hand over £50k as an inheritance payout to an
adult, where would you suggest they put it?

Not interested in high risk.
Probably wouldn't want it locked away for long periods (1 or 3 years may
be an option).
Concerns about Internet security and fraud, but also vulnerable to covid
so less inclined to go to bank in person.

Ideas anyone (other than under the matress or in your pocket that is)

I think "under the matress or in your pocket" are probably the best
options at the moment given the trivial (to almost non-existent)
interest rates being offered at the moment.

Pay off absolutely everything that you owe money to first (mortgage,
credit cards, any other loans), then buy something you really, really
want. :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Old August 19th 20, 05:16 PM posted to uk.finance

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Anthony

That looks like an interesting option - do you use it HL yourself?

Phil
Old August 19th 20, 05:20 PM posted to uk.finance

On 19/08/2020 15:28, Chris Green wrote:
thescullster wrote:
Hi all

If you were going to hand over £50k as an inheritance payout to an
adult, where would you suggest they put it?

Not interested in high risk.
Probably wouldn't want it locked away for long periods (1 or 3 years may
be an option).
Concerns about Internet security and fraud, but also vulnerable to covid
so less inclined to go to bank in person.

Ideas anyone (other than under the matress or in your pocket that is)

I think "under the matress or in your pocket" are probably the best
options at the moment given the trivial (to almost non-existent)
interest rates being offered at the moment.

Pay off absolutely everything that you owe money to first (mortgage,
credit cards, any other loans), then buy something you really, really
want. :-)

Hi Chris

The beneficiary is mid-twenties and does not have property, so his only
real debt is a student loan.

It is not possible to pay these off as far as I know and, given that
repayment is salary dependent, it may be that it is preferable to leave
that one hanging.

Phil

Old August 19th 20, 05:25 PM posted to uk.finance

wrote:

[...]

Hi Anthony

I have just seen the thread titled Woodford and Hargreaves Lansdown
which doesn't inspire confidence in HL

Phil
Old August 19th 20, 05:26 PM posted to uk.finance

thescullster wrote:
[...]

If he's in his mid-twenties, he's classed as an adult, and is assumed to
be able to manage his own affairs. Unless he's asked you, why do you
think it's your businaess to suggest what he does with it?
Old August 19th 20, 07:38 PM posted to uk.finance

thescullster wrote:
[...]

Complete disaster are student loans, a "heads I win, tails you lose"
set up if ever there was one. I wonder what would happen if you took
them to the small claims court if/when they refuse to let you pay off
what you owe (though I suppose that is a sort of backwards sort of
claim).

As regards it being salary dependent that points you more towards
earning as little as possible and spending the nest egg! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Old August 20th 20, 12:26 PM posted to uk.finance

wrote:

[...]

That has no impact on the savings accounts they are promoting, which
you can find yourself independently if you shop around - it's just
convenient and saves lots of searching for products I'd struggle to
find.

Old August 20th 20, 12:32 PM posted to uk.finance

wrote:

[...]

I am a HL customer from several years back though they are no longer
my primary investment platform, and if you were looking at investing
into funds then they would not be the top of my list simply because at
0.45% platform charges there are better deals.

But I have extensively used their Active Savings as it is very
convenient, easy and as a product matures it is quite effortless to
either withdraw the funds or move into another product. So I have
some in the "no notice" savings, some in the 3 and 6 month options.
I've not put any into saving longer than that because for further
ahead I'd rather put my money into an investment, but then I've been
doing that for 20+ years so I'm comfortable with the associated risks.