Old September 20th 17, 08:53 AM posted to uk.finance

Default Joint Account Tax Liability

My dad has asked me to open a joint share dealing account with him, to help
him buy and sell shares, using only his money. I will receive no payment or
benefits from it.

My question is, will I be liable for its income or capital gains taxes, or
can I be exempt, since I am playing a purely administrative role? How do I
declare this to HMRC?

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,

TG

Old September 20th 17, 09:30 AM posted to uk.finance

On 20/09/2017 09:53, tg wrote:
My dad has asked me to open a joint share dealing account with him, to help
him buy and sell shares, using only his money. I will receive no payment or
benefits from it.

My question is, will I be liable for its income or capital gains taxes, or
can I be exempt, since I am playing a purely administrative role? How do I
declare this to HMRC?

IANAL.

If it's a joint account, I'd say you are jointly liable for tax.

Better move would have been to open an account in his name only, and get
him to give you authority to deal. Several brokers allow this. Or, if
it's all online, simply use his login.
Old September 21st 17, 08:40 AM posted to uk.finance

Thanks Allan!

TG

Tax on a joint account rjre UK Finance 7 July 14th 07 09:00 PM
Help! Joint account blues! Moo UK Finance 17 July 13th 05 08:58 AM
Tax on interest on joint accounts - 1 non-tax payer Dave P UK Finance 4 May 1st 05 10:08 AM
wtd. High interest joint saving account for three names Air Rider UK Finance 1 February 5th 05 02:49 PM
Joint Savings Account with Internet Access?? Graham Ranary UK Finance 10 January 29th 05 06:12 PM