Old September 15th 17, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.misc,uk.politics.misc,uk.finance

Default Fake fibre sold by VM BT Offconn Openroach no good for gaming and social media

replying to 7, ExPatBrit wrote:
Couldn't agree more. Our village, just 20 crow miles from Stansted has only
just got a viable Internet service - using a private company that has the
broadband backbone connect by radio to our church steeple. From there it
radiates to each home through the air to a dish on the house. Only my
neighbour was told he is out of luck because "them two trees over there are in
the way". Our houses are just 9' apart! I have seen 20Mbps, 30Mbps is said to
be available for a bit more monthly. I don't know whether the approach could
scale to 100Mbps or higher - time will tell but at the rate we are forced to
receive video adverts - even on BBC, CNN, AOL, etc - I don't think even 30Mbps
will be adequate in a year or two, especially if more owners in the small
village take up the service and streaming becomes an expectation. Many years
ago, before patience and hair became very thin, BT offered my other neighbour
"Internet" if HE would pay them £120,000.
I swear (and I have frequently) people in BT's far-away support team, and
their U.K. Executives, think "robust fiber" includes string that doesn't fray.
Two years ago, my landline went dead. I filed complaint once I figured our how
to. I was told I could re-refute my calls to my 85 year old neighbour's line -
the off-shore moron didn't understand the stupidity of that on so many levels.
Then when I contacted them again they called me a liar and that there was no
fault report! After ELEVEN days an Openreach bloke showed up. I explained the
situation and he walked about 50 yards down the road, looked up and reported
the connection at the top of the pole was probably broken - exactly my
original suggestion. I asked how long to fix it and he said "Dunno. I need to
call for a cherry picker 'cos I can't shin up the pole like we used to".
Whereupon he went back to his truck, made a call, and spent at least the next
two hours having a nap while probably still "on the clock" BT and Openreach is
probably on of the biggest consumer frauds ever. By the way, the village also
has appalling 2G/3G service - even a lorry barreling through our narrow main
road ignoring 30mph is enough to cause the signal to drop - although if it is
raining the signal won't be there anyway.
So for at least 11 days (I was home between long distance business trips) I
had no ability to make or receive calls - even 999.

--
posted from
http://www.beansmart.com/uk-finance/...r-g-92283-.htm