Old January 5th 17, 06:43 PM posted to uk.finance

Default Pensions and reduced allowance for high incomes

I hope this group isn't completely dead!

I'm trying to make sense of the calculations for the reduced ('tapered')
pension annual allowance.

Hypothetical person gets paid £180K. They also contribute 5K into a
pension via salary sacrifice and their employer matches that 5K. (set up
before 8th july 2015) They also pay another 8K into a separate pension
that then claims the 2K tax relief. (tax relief at source)

They also make a gift aid charitable donation of 8K (and the charity
will then claim 2K of tax)

Assume that they have no relief available from previous years.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pension-...nual-allowance

Work out your net income
Add up your taxable income and take off any tax reliefs that apply,
like:

payments made gross to your pension scheme(s) (before tax relief)
because your pension scheme isn’t set up for automatic relief or someone
else pays into your pension
trading losses, for example trade loss relief or property loss relief

********
I assume this is 180K - 10K (charity) = 170K
********

Work out your threshold income
1. Start with your net income.
2. Deduct the gross amount of your pension contributions (where tax relief
has been given at source).
3. Deduct the amount of any lump sum death benefits you received from
registered pension schemes.
4. Add any reduction of employment income for pension provision through
salary sacrifice arrangements set up after 8 July 2015.
5. Add any reduction of employment income for pension provision through
flexible remuneration arrangements set up after 8 July 2015.

**********
170K - 10K(pension relief at source) = 160K
**********

Work out your adjusted income
1. Start with your net income.
2. Add back in pension savings made for you by your employer.
3. Add back in payments made to your pension scheme that got tax relief but
were paid before tax relief was given (because your pension scheme
wasn’t set up for automatic relief or someone else paid into your
pension).
4. Deduct the amount of any lump sum death benefits you received from
registered pension schemes.

***********
170K + 5K(salary sacrifice) + 5K(pension match) + 10K(pension relief at
source) = 190K

Their reduced annual allowance is now 40K - (190K-150K)/2 = 20K and
their total pension contributions are 20K so everything is hunky dory.

Does that all look correct so far?

Now where I start getting confused.

Assume instead of making that 8K payment into their pension (relief at
source) they make a 48K payment.

Net income: unchanged: 170K
Threshold income 170K-60K = 110K

This puts their threshold income below(on) the 110K threshold and
therefore they retain their entire 40K allowance.

They've paid 70K into their pension therefore there will be a tax charge
on the 30K excess over the annual allowance.

Does this sound right?

If they had unused allowance from previous years then they could have
been using that up and there would then be no tax charge. Is that really
the intention - that people with unused annual allowance can potentially
get more pension tax relief than those who dont?

(They presumably also could pay 24K into their pension and an extra 24K
to charity to achieve the same result of getting the entire 40K pension
annual allowance. That feels more reasonable to me)

***********
https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-your-priva...nual-allowance

Reduced allowance for high incomes
You’ll have a reduced (‘tapered’) annual allowance for the 2016 to 2017
tax year if both the following apply:

your ‘threshold income’ is over £110,000 - this is your income excluding
any pension contributions (unless they’re paid as a salary sacrifice by
your employer)
your ‘adjusted income’ is over £150,000 - this is your income added to
any pension contributions you or your employer make
**************

It's all so fscking complicated :-(

Tim.

Old January 5th 17, 08:23 PM posted to uk.finance

On 05/01/2017 19:43, Tim Woodall wrote:
I hope this group isn't completely dead!

I'm trying to make sense of the calculations for the reduced ('tapered')
pension annual allowance.

<snip

It's all so fscking complicated :-(

If I wasn't retired I still wouldn't earn enough for the taper to affect
me so I've double excuse for not having tried to keep up with the ever
greater complification of relief for pension contributions. But if you
want advice on that order of complexity I suggest you need one of the
more professional (and active) forums such as
<http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/any-answers (Registration required)

--
Robin