Old December 9th 16, 08:21 AM posted to uk.finance

Default no vat receipt for item,can I then sell it on iwith VAT?

Quick question, I've purchase an item from someone whom isn't vat registered. However the item brought elsewhere is vatable when brought from someone vat registered. As I've purchased this from someone not registered with VAT, can I still charge VAT on top when selling?

Old December 9th 16, 09:20 AM posted to uk.finance

On 09/12/16 09:21, Richard Evans wrote:
Quick question, I've purchase an item from someone whom isn't vat registered. However the item brought elsewhere is vatable when brought from someone vat registered. As I've purchased this from someone not registered with VAT, can I still charge VAT on top when selling?

As I understand it, you *must* charge VAT. The only effect of the lack
of paperwork, is that you cannot recover any input VAT.

However, HMRC are reportedly quite helpful about such questions, and
should be able to give you a definitive answer.
Old December 9th 16, 02:46 PM posted to uk.finance

On 09/12/2016 10:20, David Woolley wrote:
On 09/12/16 09:21, Richard Evans wrote:
Quick question, I've purchase an item from someone whom isn't vat
registered. However the item brought elsewhere is vatable when brought
from someone vat registered. As I've purchased this from someone not
registered with VAT, can I still charge VAT on top when selling?

As I understand it, you *must* charge VAT. The only effect of the lack
of paperwork, is that you cannot recover any input VAT.

However, HMRC are reportedly quite helpful about such questions, and
should be able to give you a definitive answer.

I am assuming you are registered for VAT and must therefore charge VAT
to your customer.

My understanding is it depends on whether the item you purchased from is
acting as your agent. If so, and you can obtain the original VAT
invoice, you can claim this input VAT.

BICBW