Old November 21st 10, 10:29 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance
JMS JMS is offline

Default Vince Cable lost the plot - VAT

I used to think that Vince Cable was probably the only sane minister
in the ConDem coalition. However, my view has now changed:

Sainsbury's have set up a Channel Islands company to sell DVDs, CDs,
and games - the transactions do not attract VAT under an arcane EU
tax relief directive.

However Cable - Business Secretary - has his finger on the retailer's
pulse:

He said: "I am sure if they are sufficiently aware of the importance
of their reputation in this area that they will stop it immediately".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...el-islands-vat
Yep - then that's alright then.

I see he has also said - regarding tuition fees:

"We didn't break a promise. We made a commitment."

Well there you go - I thought it was just a bit stronger than that : I
thought that it was a "pledge".

Perhaps working along-side the Tories - their principles rub off on
you.

Old November 21st 10, 10:44 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

JMS wrote:

I used to think that Vince Cable was probably the only sane minister
in the ConDem coalition. However, my view has now changed:

Perhaps working along-side the Tories - their principles rub off on
you.

How to tell when a politician is lying - his lips are moving.
--
Regards,

Bob
Licentiae, quam stulti libertatem vocabant. - Tacitus
Old November 21st 10, 10:45 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

Bob Henson wrote:

How to tell when a politician is lying - his lips are moving.

That reminds me of the old viola joke:

How can you tell when a viola is being played out of tune?
The bow is moving.

Old November 21st 10, 10:47 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

On 11/21/2010 11:29 AM, JMS wrote:
[...]

He had me quite convinced also - I guess they are pretty much the same.
As soon as they acquire power, their only objective is to retain it.
Old November 21st 10, 10:59 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

JMS wrote:
[...]

In any political coalition there is going to have to be compromises on both
sides. The Tories have compromised in relation to the Proportional
Representation referendum, for example. They have agreed to hold it despite
being vehemently opposed to PR.

--
Kev

Old November 21st 10, 11:06 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance
JMS JMS is offline

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 11:59:49 -0000, "Ret." wrote:

<snip

In any political coalition there is going to have to be compromises on both
sides. The Tories have compromised in relation to the Proportional
Representation referendum, for example. They have agreed to hold it despite
being vehemently opposed to PR.

What a bummer: they are vehemently opposed to PR and so do not want to
ask the people their view - and now they have been "forced" to.

Yep - you can't change a Tory - so in touch with people who have never
had it so good.

(How many of the Tory cabinet are common or garden millionaires?)

Old November 21st 10, 11:18 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

On 11/21/2010 12:06 PM, JMS wrote:
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 11:59:49 -0000, wrote:

<snip

In any political coalition there is going to have to be compromises on both
sides. The Tories have compromised in relation to the Proportional
Representation referendum, for example. They have agreed to hold it despite
being vehemently opposed to PR.

What a bummer: they are vehemently opposed to PR and so do not want to
ask the people their view - and now they have been "forced" to.

Not wanting something but agreeing to a consultation as a compromise is
not quite the same as wanting something but then not only abandoning it
but pretending you didn't really want it that badly in the first place,
are not quite the same.
No, I have no idea what the Tories would do if the referendum brings a
positive result. AIUI the kind of PR that is being proposed isn't that
radical anyway. Tories have abandoned several of their manifesto
promises anyway, but I don't see them saying that they didn't really
mean it that much in the first place.
The difference between Tory and Lib Dem IMV is that most people knew
what they would get with Tory, but they thought they would get something
else with Lib Dem. Quite natural since LibDem have not been given a
sniff of power until now.
I hope people have learned their lesson.

Yep - you can't change a Tory - so in touch with people who have never
had it so good.

(How many of the Tory cabinet are common or garden millionaires?)

I can't see the difference between Cameron and Clegg - they look the
same, sound the same, and by golly they appear to be exactly the same.

Old November 21st 10, 11:38 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

"Ret." wrote:

JMS wrote:
[...]

Nevertheless, this was at the forefront of their election campaign, so they
should stick to it. They must obviously have done their sums that it was a
feasible standpoint; i.e. London bridges wouldn't fall down because of
freezing the tuition fees. So why did they have to sell out? What is the
point of an election campaign if election promises can't be trusted. No
wonder that fewer people bother to vote.
Old November 21st 10, 12:03 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

JMS wrote:
Sainsbury's have set up a Channel Islands company to sell DVDs, CDs,
and games - the transactions do not attract VAT under an arcane EU
tax relief directive.

However Cable - Business Secretary - has his finger on the
retailer's pulse:

He said: "I am sure if they are sufficiently aware of the importance
of their reputation in this area that they will stop it
immediately".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...el-islands-vat
Yep - then that's alright then.

Sainsbury's were snuggled-up to the previous government, and they'll be
pleased to hear that the new one has maintained it's high tolerance for
corporate tax evasion.

Old November 21st 10, 12:11 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.finance

"Ret." wrote in message
JMS wrote:
[...]

That's all fine and dandy.

If you've been forced to compromised you say so (and then you abstain in the
vote - as the coalition agreement allows them to do).

But to spout a load of waffle about the fact that you now believe this is
the policy "best" for students is hypocrisy

tim

Seek Boomer Pension Flow & Duration Plot [email protected] UK Finance 0 March 19th 10 05:46 AM
Vince Cable's advice. mick UK Finance 2 March 6th 09 02:58 PM
Vince Cable suggesting savers should invest in stocks.Is he right? mick UK Finance 12 January 9th 09 08:30 PM
Vince Cable was right - Northern Rock about to be Nationalised John E[_2_] UK Finance 8 January 16th 08 03:21 PM
CGT and building plot Glen Watson UK Finance 1 September 1st 05 05:39 PM