Old December 11th 17, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.misc,uk.politics.misc,uk.finance
David Woolley[_2_] David Woolley[_2_] is offline

Default $270 for 3km 4 core outdoor fibre to cable up Brex**** plc

On 10/12/17 23:06, Paul Cummins wrote:
The results are usually better than 0.01db loss.

Not possible... you cannot measure luminosity loss in dB.

Of course you can. You can measure anything that is a dimensionless
ratio in dB and dB are the preferred unit in this case.

However, according to <http://www.thefoa.org/tech/lossbudg.htm a more
realistic splice loss is 0.3 dB, which is 30 times worse than suggested
here.

Not sure why I responded to this thread though, as it is clearly not
going to have any influence in the real world. I would point out
though, that techniques like ADSL were developed not based on the cost
of installing new copper, versus new fibre, but based on the fact that
there has been maybe 100 years investment in putting the copper into the
ground, so no new infrastructure development is needed.