Old February 16th 17, 07:51 PM posted to uk.finance
Ian Jackson[_3_] Ian Jackson[_3_] is offline

Default Insurance - Large difference between renewal and new quotes

I've just got my annual renewal quotation for my house buildings and
contents insurance. It's 400.

I have lived in this house for nearly 40 years, and have never made any
insurance claims.

Although I appreciate the benefit of swapping insurance companies from
time to time, I rarely actually make the change. However, as 400 does
seem a bit OTT, I've started to get some online quotations - and I'm
surprised at how low they are. It looks like I can get something
adequate for as low as 120 - and with a few belt-and-braces extras,
it's still only typically 150. Even my present insurer only quotes
180.

Of course I realise that many of these new quotations will be
draw-you-in special offers, but even if I choose one in full knowledge
that I might get a bit of a shock on the first renewal, it would have to
be going some to be anything 400 (which will probably more like 440
next year).

So, although I've been with my present insurance company for 10 years,
so I'd like to know whether I should challenge them on the renewal price
(to see if they will come down to their online price), or should I
simply say "Let them stuff it", and move to a different company?
--
Ian